A day in the 20th century! Every day from Sofia!
This unusual train crawling through the mountains will introduce you to the big stories of the “Little railway”.
We’ll embark on a magical journey through one of the most romantic and beautiful railway routes in Europe - the narrow gauge railway which passes Septemvri-Velingrad-Bansko-Dobrinishte any many more smaller villages and towns.
A travel in time which will help you immerse in times past and breathtaking winter scenery while being on board on the comfy and warm Little train saloon.
An open intersection between the wagons, many stories, and meetups with the locals are just a few of the emotions that are awaiting you in this trip through the Rhodope, Rila and Pirin mountains with the Alpine railway of the Balkans!
The railway is in the rankings for “Most interesting railway routes in Europe” published in the European Railway Guide. This line is also passing by the highest train station on the Balkan peninsula - Avramovo station, situated at 1267m above the sea level.
Don’t hesitate and give yourself a magical and unforgettable winter day in the Bulgarian countryside filled with beauty, history, warmth, romantics and many positive emotions!
• Sofia – Septemvri – Yakoruda – Sofia
• It’s 6:50 am. We take you from your hotel or the place you’re staying at and then depart for the small town of Septemvri which is 105 km away from Sofia.
• After our arrival there our adventure starts at 8:45 am when we take the only working narrow gauge in the country.
• We’ll learn about the history of the narrow railway going through the Rhodopes while enjoying the mesmerizing scenery around us and meeting the locals, whose life wouldn’t possibly exist at some of the villages we pass if it wasn’t for the Little train.
• At lunchtime – 11:55 am we arrive at the lovely town of Yakoruda. Situated on the two banks of the beautiful Mesta river, this land has a rich history – the fortress remains Gradishteto and Kaliata are reminding us of the times when the Romans were passing by this place while on their Via Egnazia journey (Thessaloniki-Philipopolis-Asia)
• On our arrival in Yakoruda, we are going to visit one unique restaurant-like establishment which is situated in the train station building. This interesting place has been under the National Railways management for years until the break of communism. Nowadays it’s been taken care of good local people who are giving life to the place with whats of work and as the locals call it merak (desire).
• We can have for lunch – homemade meatballs, Yakorudian fries which have been grown on local lands.
• After we eat, we’ll go on a refreshing walk through the narrow roads of the town. We’ll see the typical old-fashioned houses built in the local architecture style, but also the big and massive communist buildings which are giving the town feeling of the otherwise small village.
• Next, we’ll visit the St. Kiril and st. Metodii church famous for its singing bells. We will also see and learn how and where was built the second school in the whole of Bulgaria.
• Then, we will climb the Brachina – one of the hills near the town where we will get to know from personal experience why the communist government was thinking of changing the town’s name to Five-pointed star. There we’ll also learn the story of left and ruined building which used to be the home of many orphans before it suffered from fire.
• At 5:00 pm we say bye to Yakoruda and hop on our vehicle back to Sofia (where we expect to arrive at about 19:30 pm)
• Transport in a modern vehicle (car/minibus) with air condition. The transfer time is about 3.5 hours in both directions.
• Train tickets – the narrow gauge trip duration is about 3 hours long.
• Walking tour in Yakoruda.
• Unique local experience
• All transportation and parking costs.
• tripvam representative during the whole tour
• VAT and all local taxes
Price Does Not Include
• Food and drinks
• Gratuities (optional)
• Personal expenses
• Insurance (optional)
• Although we’ll give our best in keeping the mood temperature high, please choose your clothes carefully and according to the weather and seasonal conditions :)) Try to wear comfy shoes if possible. The Bulgarian winter is pretty cold!
Don’t forget your camera
• The narrow gauge train is well-heated during the winter
• The lunch in Yakoruda usually comes up to 10 BGN/5 Euros per adult.
• The cuisine that is prepared by the locals is typical local food – grilled meat and potatoes. If you are a vegan/vegetarian, please let us know in advance so we can make the necessary arrangements!
How to book
• Fill in the booking form.
• Book at least 1 days in advance (until 18:00 p.m.)
• Please, make sure that you have selected the date you prefer.
• Apply the promo code, in order to get a discount.
• You can book without a promo code. In that case, you will pay the whole price for the service.
• Please fill in all important details in the Notes text field, as well as preferred methods for further communication (phone, email, Skype, WhatsApp).
• Payment is not necessary at this point.
• We will contact you as soon as possible, in order to confirm the reservation and discuss the payment method.
• After you have been serviced, you will have the opportunity to leave a review. We thank you in advance :)
|With promo code||Original price|
|Price for 2 people:||226.10 EUR
|Price for 3 people:||282.15 EUR
|Price for 4 people:||300.20 EUR
|Price for 5 people:||375.25 EUR
|Price for 6 people:||450.30 EUR
|Price for 7 people:||525.35 EUR